Make an Appointment
Appointments are required for History Fair research. Please fill out this form to request an appointment. Appointments must be confirmed by the Research Center.
6th grade and older are welcome.
6th, 7th, and 8th graders must be accompanied by an adult.
All History Fair appointments for Saturday, Feb. 18, are full
October through March
During the months when students are completing projects for History Fair, K-12 students are admitted as follows:
- Grades 9-12 must make an advance appointment.
- Grades 6-8 must make an advance appointment and must be accompanied by an adult.
- Grades K-5 cannot be accommodated in the Research Center.
- Members' children may be admitted to the Research Center without an appointment, but advance appointments are encouraged. K-8 students must be accompanied by an adult.
April through September
After History Fair, K-12 students are admitted as follows:
- Grades 9-12 are admitted without an appointment.
- Grades K-8 may conduct research when accompanied by an adult.
Chicago Metro History Fair
The Research Center is a popular destination for students doing History Fair research.
Appointments are for research. Staff helps students find materials related to their topics, but the Chicago History Museum cannot provide subject experts for History Fair interviews.
Search the online Encyclopedia of Chicago for background and primary source materials.
Search the Research Center Collection
Photocopying and Camera Use
$.25/page for History Fair students
Students may photograph most Research Center material. Check with a Research Center staff member, and read and sign the Camera Use Policy before taking any photographs.